- Free Quilt Block Patterns
Free Quilt Block Patterns Library
More than 200 quilt blocks to choose from—let's turn your fabric into MAGIC!
Find blocks starting E-M
Find block starting N-Z
In our free Quilt Block Patterns library (skip straight to the blocks) you'll find step-by-step illustrated directions for cutting and piecing your favorite patchwork block.
Not just images, but pictures of the actual block during construction.
And pressing directions, too, because they're important.
For the beginning quilter, there are loads of pictures each step of the way and helpful tips for making more accurate blocks.
If you've been quilting awhile, the cutting instructions, technique advice and any downloads may be all you need.
And finally, downloadable cutting charts and coloring pages are in the works for all the tutorials on this site for your convenience.
It'll take awhile to finish this project, please bear with me. It'll be worth it.
On this page, you'll find:
If you need help printing any of the tutorials or free paper piecing pattern or templates used in the construction of some of the free quilt blocks, visit these pages:
- Or simply use the 'Print' button found at the bottom of every page, just under the Newsletter signup
Keep it simple
You SHOULDN'T HAVE TO buy a specialty ruler or tool to make a single block.
That just doesn't make sense, or cents for that matter either!
Each block in this library is constructed with only the most common tools found in nearly every quilter's studio.
...if there's a great tool or ruler out there that streamlines the construction process for making many blocks AND I can recommend and vouch for it, that information will be listed, too.
If templates for unusual shapes or paper pieced patterns are needed, they are available as free downloads, printable on your home computer right from the instruction page.
2 color quilt patterns~there's a lot!
Many of these free quilt patterns are for beginners and use only two fabrics.
But don't let that stop you.
Remember, YOU are the designer. Play around with fabric and color placement to come up with designs based on these that please YOU.
The free quilt block patterns await...
To make things as easy as possible:
- Our free quilt block patterns are listed in alphabetical order by their most common name.
- Seam allowances are 1/4" unless otherwise noted.
- Blocks are listed in Finished Sizes. Most include multiple sizes. (If you are a beginning quilter and confused by 'finished vs unfinished size' check out this article. You're not alone. Lots of new quilters find this concept confusing!)
- Any paper piecing patterns or paper templates used in the construction of a block are available within the tutorial as a free download for you to print.
- Use the most recent version of Adobe for downloading and printing. To date, every printing problem we've encountered has been solved by using the free Adobe software. Find more printing help here.
Click on any block below to go directly to the instructions and get started!
Quickly find a block you want to make
Whether you're looking for traditional quilt patterns or modern or paper pieced, you'll find all kinds here.
Alphabetically by common name...
Or by finished block size...
Or by type...
Tips and techniques to improve your quilting...
...to help you make flatter, more accurate blocks. These are the techniques I go back to time and time again for accurate piecing results.
I hope they help you, too!
For even more blocks to make...
For you, are quilt block patterns like potato chips?
You can't have just one?!!
Check the fantastic resources I rely on for the majority of the quilt block designs you see on this website.
To see if they're worthy of a spot in YOUR quilting library, read about them HERE.
NOTE: All the attribution and alternate names shared in the Free Quilt Block Patterns Library came from these four resources.
- Free Quilt Block Patterns
This article was printed from Generations-Quilt-Patterns.com