This post contains affiliate links for which I receive compensation

Quilting as you go

by Delenne
(Bristol, IN)

I have no idea the technical name of the method.

I heard that you can put your quilt piece, batting and backing together, then join it to another piece. Sort of quilt as you go or quilt as you assemble the project.

I apologize for the awkwardness of this question but it is the best I can do.


No problem, Delenne!

The technique you are describing is, indeed, called 'quilt as you go'. Many times you'll see it abbreviated as QAYG...simply because it's such a mouthful.

Oak Park Patchwork is such a quilt that was submitted to our 'Share Your Quilts' page by Betty Smith, one of our readers. It uses one of the many ways that you can stitch this type of quilt.

I plan to have tutorials for this technique on the website sometime this winter. But for now, to see a good example of it, I suggest you visit the website. The link will take you to a tutorial on her site for this technique.

About 3/4 of the way down that page, keep your eyes peeled. There are a couple of links that take you through different ways to join the blocks together. Good stuff!

Quilt as you go is a great way to use up scraps, but it's also a good way to practice your free motion quilting. A quilter can work on smaller free motion quilting projects and then join the quilted blocks together one by one instead of having to maneuver the whole quilt under the needle. A great skill builder. I'll have a pattern out next year--all sorts of feathered quilting blocks--that are put together using the technique.

Thank you for your question. I hope you enjoy QAYG!


Julie Baird

Click here to post comments

Return to GQP's Quilting Forum.

This article was printed from

Print Article

Follow Us